Monday, July 5, 2010

Navasota, Texas

The family headed out for Texas today. Sammi actually went back with Melissa yesterday and they will all spend the night in Dumas tonight and caravan down to Navasota tomorrow.

The funny thing is, when I got to thinking about it, although we lived in Navasota for 13 years, I have almost no pictures of the town itself. The few I do have I took from the car at Christmas 2007 when we were back visiting after we'd already moved to Colorado. Come to think of it, that was the last time I was there. With the possibility of Bob and Nell moving to Dumas, it might well have been the very last time I will ever be through there, which makes me a little sad.

I would like to excuse this oversight to the typical thinking that "you don't take pictures of where you live" except that I do, regularly, almost daily, here in Colorado, so that doesn't quite make sense. You don't love what you've got 'til it's gone...

So now that Bob is going to be back there (with my Canon!) I think he should make up for my lapse. Nothing like passing the buck. Or better yet, with Sammi and Jessie hanging out all week while the boys are doing football camp stuff, maybe I can talk them into getting these for me with Bob Sr.'s camera.

Here's a wish list:
1. Millers Theater (with the full sign) outside and the interior, snack bar and theater.
2. The Steakhouse (inside and out)
3. La Casita (inside and out)
4. The high school
5. The kids' schools
6. Brookshire Brothers (inside and out)
7. Mother Goose
8. The church building (I know I took one of these, I just can't find it!)
9. Church Street
10. The hair salon and strip
11. Bank of Navasota (interior and exterior)
12. the little sandwich and ice cream place across from the post office
13. Martha's Bloomers
14. Brule Field
15. The three gas stations along Hwy 6
16. Washington houses
17. Turner Pierce and Fultz
18. Post Office (interior)
19. Nobles Funeral Home
20. The hospital


So here's all I've got right now:

Coming in from Brenham, over the train tracks, looking toward the main street light of the town at Washington and LaSalle you can get a sense of this small Texas town (pop ~7300). On the right with the flag on top is the Bank of Navasota, whose historical marker says it was built in the 1880, although I'd guess its interior was most recently renovated in the 1930s.


Navasota City Hall, where one of us always had to run our check in to pay the water and garbage bill. Billpay? What's that?


The Post Office, which didn't get ADA compliant until the late 1990s. Before then, if you couldn't do stairs, you couldn't get your mail.


Miller's Theater, the single screen, family operated place where Dad took tickets and started the film (when the ticket buyers slowed down - starting time was mostly an estimate) and Mom and the kids sold popcorn, candy, and fountain drinks, and there was a single stall Ladies and Mens for your convenience.

Ah, the LaSalle statue. Our little town's claim to fame was the great explorer got chased her by his mutinous men and murdered here in 1687.


The Take One Video store that was previously a bank. The kids always got DumDum suckers when they rented movies and games here. It's now an antique store owned by Cjo's mom. And the clock never worked in all my years there. It was perpetually 1:30.


Horlock House, with historical tours through the Victorian home, is owned by the City of Navasota. Better yet, Aggieland Ghost Hunters was there last month apparently talking to Agnes Horlock, wife of Robert Augustus Horlock who built the home. Whoop! EMF!


There was once a large house on this corner and by now, I'll assume there a new one on the existing foundation you see. But I was aiming for Harlan's grocery store across the street. It was one of two places you could get your groceries in town. If you take the street on the left, you'll dead end at our little rental place at the end of N. Judson.


Can you tell I'm shooting one handed without aiming while driving?


The Navasota Public Library building, one of the newer buildings in the town. My fondest memory is checking out some books and being told by the librarian that the reason my house wasn't selling was it was overpriced. Ah, memories.


And, of course, the Walmart, killer of jobs and provider of lower paying jobs, where you might have a very good shot at a winning photo for the People of Walmart site.



That's it? I'm so ashamed. Stay tuned. If my family loves me, there will be more to add by the time they get back.





0 comments:

Post a Comment