Friday, January 7, 2011

1-7-11 Tangled

If you like Disney movies and haven't seen Tangled, go.

If you haven't seen Tangled and don't want the ending spoiled, you should go now.

So in the Disney take on the fairy tale (which is what they have always done best) Rapunzel's mother was fed the magical flower that had been blessed by the sun when she was dying in childbirth. The evil woman who had tried to keep the legendary flower a secret (drawing eternal youth from it) snatches the baby for herself when she realizes Rapunzel's hair now holds those same qualities, but only if it remains attached to her head.

At the end of the film, when she is trying to save Flynn from her evil "mother", her hair is chopped off and turns brown. Flynn of course is saved by the magic still residing inside of her, comes around, and says, "Did I ever tell you I've always had a thing for brunettes?", close-up shot, Disney kiss. . .

At this point in the film, Sammi leans over and says, "I LOVE her hair that way!".

Yesterday at school, someone said to Sam, "you look just like Rapunzel with her short hair!" which made her quite delighted.

So I went searching for a picture to compare and was startled to find it almost impossible to locate any still shots of short-haired Rapunzel; using all my research methods and search tricks, I came up with exactly two on the entire internet, one of which was very low quality.

This puzzles me. The end of the film, when Rapunzel is no longer kept captive or controlled, it is symbolized by her new found freedom from her long, long hair. I like that message. Why isn't it out there? The Rapunzel meet-and-greet at Disney? Long blond hair. The Rapunzel barbies in stores? Long blond hair.

Where is my short, spunky, spiky brown haired Rapunzel doll??

At least I have my own real life version living in my house.

She rocks.

Would that more girls and young women would realize their own amazing selves instead of getting tangled up in the silly belief that we must all look one way to be considered beautiful.


0 comments:

Post a Comment