Thursday, July 23, 2009

Mexia Blaylock House


This is a picture of my grandparents house in Mexia back in the 60s, probably on the only snow day they had the entire decade. Here is what I remember, all of it from age 4 or younger: Front right is the living room, walk towards the back and you pass through the dining room to the kitchen to the back porch. Left side front, sitting room where grandaddy did his reflexology treatments and behind it their bedroom. In the center was the hallway, kind of like a closed in dog run with doors opening left and right into the rooms I've mentioned. At the end of this hallway, a set of stairs that in my memory are incredibly steep and tall. At the top was a single room. Yes, all of those windows you see up there were on this one glorious, rather small, room. I remember all the windows and a toy chest. The room was white and filled with light.


That's me, 1970, in the kitchen at the back. The ceilings were so tall. The memories I have, even the cabinets towered over me.


Circa 1973, front living room. I'm digging both the fine decor (mustard carpet, brown patterned couch from the 60s) as well as our happening clothes. These are the only pictures I can find of the place. Those stairs and that light filled little room pops into my dreams and I so wish I had a picture of it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment