Thursday, July 7, 2011

7-7-11 (Brief) Introspection at Three Months

Evan and I enjoying the cool morning breezes on this fine 7th of July

Already established: I have a thing for 7s.

The number 7 and multiples of 7s keep me smiling. I don't know what they mean and never will, but it does afford me some sense of random order in the universe.

And today, on a double seven day, it is the third month-iversary of my surgery on April 7th.

When I went to my family doc for my yearly routine check-up in February, in my mind the big changes coming up involved moving back to Texas. How the universe does like to surprise us all.

Within 6 weeks of that routine visit, I was lighter by a body organ physically. Mentally I was feeling crushed by the weight of worry and recovery and stress. No more of that.

Three months out, at least most days, there is a sense of liberation. I have been blessed with another summer in Colorado. Instead of being in the midst of rounds of chemotherapy and radiation, I am healthy, if not terribly slender, and hiking in my beloved mountains most weekends.

After the surgery and recovery, I've been trying on Thoreau each day, to live more deliberately, to live deep and suck the marrow out of life. I'm not there yet. But these past three months have certainly set me on that path.

Find eternity in each moment.



0 comments:

Post a Comment