Tuesday, May 21, 2013

5/21/13 PBC Song Epiphany . . . or maybe it's just the endorphins

PBC = Post-Boot-Camp, an altered state of mind, generally lasting an hour after a vigorous workout in which the brain functions a little like the philosophical musings of one smoking pot, but without the munchies.

This morning's post-boot-camp musing left me with the realization that I value not only words, but songs about how hopeless language really is in the attempt to connect with one another. It's a valiant attempt, and the best one we've got, but so much of what haunts me (and, I assume, other humanoids) is how far short words can ever come to the things that cannot be communicated in words, which is still what I'm trying to do and laughing about it. 

As I am one part insane-organizer and one part to-hell-with-it-,-let's-just-see-what-happens (no, really, every stupid personality test I take, I split right down the middle on this crap), I have many meticulously groomed playlists, set up in a special order that is clearly the best order . . .  and then I hit "shuffle" and see how many variations of meaning I can come up with between the random-but-not songs that pop up.

So this morning, on the way home, I got:

1. "Home" by Marc Broussard, and was struck by the wonderful climax of "you don't know nothin' about this" and began thinking, "Hmm, that's why I like this song. That moment right there. Yeah, you've all got some conception of Home that makes you connect to the song, but that's as far as it can go."

and the following song?

"Language" by   Suzanne Vega

These words are too solid
They don't move fast enough
To catch the blur in the brain
That flies by and is gone . . .

I won't use words again
They don't mean what I meant
They don't say what I said
They're just the crust of the meaning
With realms underneath
Never touched
Never stirred
Never even moved through



So I was sitting in traffic by this point thinking, "Huh, there it is again, albeit much more literal."

and the following song?

"Chasing Cars" by  Snow Patrol, 
I don't quite know 
How to say 
How I feel
Those three words
Are said too much
They're not enough

And just as I thought, "My lord, every song I own has this theme! What a revelation!" Richard Marx came along and mucked it all up with his newest release, "Just Go" that starts out "I know what we said, And every word was honest." Way to ruin a good streak, Richard. 










0 comments:

Post a Comment