Wednesday, August 22, 2012

8-22-12 The Glass

I had mentioned being on the team that won the prize at Audi training, which turned out to be a heavy metal cylinder housed drinking glass with a laser etched A8. I've been using this thing since I got home, and I have to say, it's pretty nifty. 


It's a nice, heavy weight and the glass is well-designed with a slightly smaller mouth so you don't drench yourself tipping it back. Since I primarily use it to drink ice water all day and then a diet coke in the evening, the metal band around the glass stays frigidly cold, so I'm assuming it's keeping the ice from melting on the inside as well. The top probably functions the same way, although I'm not a huge fan of the screw-top.  They bevelled this thing so deeply that you have to spend way too long getting it the top removed. But since I'm not toting it around in my A8, I supposed it doesn't matter.


So yesterday my curiosity got the better of me, and I went into the Audi catalog to find out how they described it. First off, $40 for a drinking glass?!? Right, right... A8.

The marketing copy says, "This distinctive water bottle reflects the elegance of the A8 itself. Designed with maximum durability and an airtight seal, this wide-mouth 16.9-oz. glass has a protective stainless steel cover. A smart, eco-friendly alternative to plastic bottles, as it is reusable, recyclable, dishwasher-safe, and 100% plastic-free. A built-in tea hook makes it easy to hold tea bags. Laser engraved A8 logo. ... $39.00"
Now I have looked all over this thing for a built-in tea hook and I must be a barbarian because I am not spotting it. And I'm not sure why you would have a built-in tea hook for a glass that is only intended for cold beverages?

The maker is Tkaro, who boasts a 1% donation of its profits to Charity Water and who mentions that this glass bottle has won the Red Dot award for design. They also are not exclusive to Audi but offer private branding of your choice, if, you know, you find that you need a $40 drinking glass at some point. (And just watch how long it takes them to get the top off!)


0 comments:

Post a Comment