Monday, September 8, 2014

The Weekend Roundup

On Friday, Sammi turned 19.  Morning gifts

The backpack was immediately taken on the birthday hike with friends. Sam took the camera and actually, gasp, took some photos!

She and her friends had lunch and cookie cake at Dad's

And we took her out for dinner at Joe's, her choice.

After which, we had cake and the display of presents from friends that had arrived during the day

Saturday we flew to Austin to see Nick's first game.

Pre-game light lunch:

Once Nick was off to pre-game team meetings, we met Ali for coffee and pie at the Monument Cafe

We got the stadium, met up with Ali's folks, and walked in right as Nick was walking out. 

During warm-ups

Nick on the jumbo-tron during the SCAC video

Guess who at the front of the line

Unfortunately . . .

They called a lightning delay. We went under the stands for more than hour before resuming game play, still in the second quarter.

We had a 5 minute halftime, resumed the third quarter, and then the game got delayed again for more lightning. It was 10:30.

We waited, with no communication, for another hour. By this time, the vast majority of people had left. The lightning kept coming and every time there was a strike, the clock reset to 30 more minutes, and typically didn't even move or countdown for long stretched. The rain started pouring. Coaches walked through without a word, went to the concession stands to get pizza, and walked back. A hundred guys who haven't eaten since 3:00 are squashed into the team house and no one is saying anything. Meanwhile, my hip, thanks to the rain and the long stretches of sitting uncomfortably or standing decided to rebel. And we waited. 

Finally, at 11:30 they called the game. Officially, it was cancelled, so none of the stats will count. 

Their first game was not their first game. That will be next week. When we aren't there.

Yep, full moon is about right.

So, finally, after midnight, Nick emerges. Nick with Ali and her folks:

I hit the pain meds and fell into bed at 2:00 a.m. at Marci and Ren's house. Unfortunately, they only worked part of the night to kill the sound of Bob's snoring, so I was pretty out of it on Sunday. 

By noon we had Nick filling up a grocery cart so we could fill his kitchen before we left.

We then headed over for lunch, with Marci and Ren, who I just realized didn't get into a single photo over the weekend) and had lunch together at The Salt Lick, but then he had to get back  for film and lifting and so it goes.

And so we went. You can tell Bob booked this round. Sunset is just not the same from the aisle seat.

Fell in bed at 10:00 and missed trying to shoot the full moon rise this morning. 

Maybe tomorrow, if I can walk. 


Post a Comment