Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Trash

I bolted awake this morning to the sound of a garbage truck rumbling close by.

It's trash day, I'm still asleep, no one had to get up for school, Bob's out of town, and, no, I didn't remember it was trash day until this exact minute.

More maddening, the house sits on a curve, so acoustically, that nearby sound could be a block over.

And here in Colorado, all trash services are privatized. There are multiple trash services that consumers are free to choose, so there are multiple trucks rumbling around, all of which sound the same.

So I jump out of bed, open the blinds and reflect that they are quite aptly named, with the sun streaming in, making it impossible to see anything. Who am I kidding? I can't see anything anyway when I jump out of bed thanks to these -3.0 eyes. I am in my cami and ridiculous snoopy pajama pants, groping for glasses, with bed-head you would not believe trying to make a groggy decision of whether or not to run into the street blind and looking like this, lugging the garbage can, in hopes I haven't been passed by.

Choosing the middle road, I dash into some street clothes, find the glasses, and run a brush through the hair (which results in leaving the worst of the bed head now standing straight up, all alone, on the front of my head, but so be it.

We can't get the garbage can out of the garage with both our vehicles parked inside, so this hasty maneuvering also requires me to find Bob's spare key (Nick is parked behind me) to get the Jeep out of the way before trucking the can to the curb, which is now blocked by the neighbor's Suburban they've decided is best parked directly in front of my house.

I scan the street and realize no one else has the WM green can so I still don't know if this was all for naught. (Vendors are distinguished by the color of their cans... snort.) Deciding it's worth the shot, I pull the Jeep out, run the can through the yard to get to an open spot on the curb and leave it to the Trash Fates.

Not five minutes later, after letting the now insane dogs outside, as I don't normally go into hysterical movement when first getting out of bed, the trash can is empty.

It's going to be a good day. :)

1 comments: