Thursday, September 13, 2012

9-13-12 Happy Birthday Roald Dahl

Roald Dahl would have been 96 today.

Do you know I never learned to pronounce his name correctly until just ten years ago? I'd never realized it should be said "Rooo-ahld." But there you have it. When I began what became a slightly obsessive study of all of his children's work, when I was still toying with the prospect of finishing a PhD in Children's Literature, I fell in love with him all over again, just as I had when I was a girl.

There shall never be another like him.

A few of my favorite quotes, interestingly enough, none of which are from my favorite works, although The BFG gets closest. Odd how that so often happens.

And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it. (The Witches)

A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely. (The Twits)

I was glad my father was an eye-smiler. It meant he never gave me a fake smile because it's impossible to make your eyes twinkle if you aren't feeling twinkly yourself. A mouth-smile is different. You can fake a mouth-smile any time you want, simply by moving your lips. I've also learned that a real mouth-smile always has an eye-smile to go with it. So watch out, I say, when someone smiles at you but his eyes stay the same. It's sure to be a phony. (Danny, Champion of the World)

I began to realize how important it was to be an enthusiast in life. He taught me that if you are interested in something, no matter what it is, go at it at full speed ahead. Embrace it with both arms, hug it, love it and above all become passionate about it. Lukewarm is no good. Hot is no good either. White hot and passionate is the only thing to be. (Uncle Oswald)

The prime function of the children's book writer is to write a book that is so absorbing, exciting, funny, fast and beautiful that the child will fall in love with it. And that first love affair between the young child and the young book will lead hopefully to other loves for other books and when that happens the battle is probably won. The child will have found a crock of gold. He will also have gained something that will help to carry him most marvelously through the tangles of his later years. (The Read Aloud Handbook, Trilease)

I was observing her closely as I talked, and after a while I began to get the impression that she was not, in fact, quite so merry and smiling a girl as I had been led to believe at first. She seemed to be coiled in herself, as though with a secret she was jealously guarding. The deep-blue eyes moved too quickly about the room, never settling or resting on one thing for more than a moment; and over all her face, though so faint that they might not even have been there, those small downward lines of sorrow. ("My Lady Love, My Dove" from Someone Like You)

 Don't gobblefunk around with words. (The BFG)

0 comments:

Post a Comment