Sunday, September 30, 2012

9-30-12 Mengeaille Vilian

I've decided I need to be one of those cooks that makes food for the blind. Maybe I can become one of those cutting edge "Dark Dining" chefs, although I'm guessing Great Balls of Fire isn't on any of their menus... yet.

Not familiar with the trend? 

O.Noir

Opaque

Dans Le Noir

I'm thinking my restaurant should be a bit more realistic in its name. With a nod to the cajun cuisine I managed to mangle this evening, I'm going with Mengeaille Vilian (Ugly Food)

You know that Fiber One Cereal commercial where the lady keeps saying, "No way, right? There's no way, right?" (Oh, no? Well, here.)


This is what I kept saying to myself as I was following the recipe exactly and looking at the texture of the mix. "There's no way this work, right? No way, right?" but I soldiered on and "rolled" the mixture into balls (no way this is turning into a ball, no way, right?) And I popped them into the fridge to "set" (no way, right?) for half an hour, and then "dredged" them through the egg and milk and into the bread crumbs and into the oil, all the while knowing it wasn't going to work.

Hope fading...

Here's what they are supposed to look like.


Here's my reality. (I've found the evening light makes them less hideous to gaze upon.)
This was the first half of the batch. The second fared no better.

So with a batch of crab dip and a spoon, I will say both of these recipes taste exactly like their counterparts in Joe's Crab Shack, but you'd have to be dining in the dark not to laugh at the appearance of my Great Oozing Blobs of Fire.


I have got to learn this language. It would make fussing in the kitchen so much more fun.




0 comments:

Post a Comment