Thursday, September 27, 2012

9-27-12 cooking the funk away

On the 270th day of the year, I am fighting the feeling of being conquered.

On this day in
1066 William the Conquerer set out on his Norman Conquest
1529 Suleiman I begins the Siege of Vienna
1669 the Ottomans finished their Siege of Candia, conquering the Venetians
1822 Champollion deciphers the Rosetta stone
1854 the SS Arctic sinks, killing 300
1905 E=mc²as a published theory begins
1937 The Balinese tiger is extinct
1959 the Honshu typhoon kills 5000
1993 The Sukhumi massacre happens
1997 The Mars Pathfinder disappears
1998 Google is born (okay, that last one is pretty good)

so, all in all, my today wasn't all that bad. Mom and Dad came by on their way home from their vacation tour of the aspens around the state and took Sam and I out for lunch.

But I did get dumped by one of my stores with the "but we love you and you're great" which is nice to hear, but is going to be a good hit in the paycheck until I can pick something else up and "it's not you it's me" still means you weren't good enough for them.

Plus I had to go the dentist and, although everything looked fine, I got the speech about the total body health related to better flossing and was only able to cut my dentist short by saying, "Doc, I'm not discounting the science. I just don't frikking remember." He laughed and left me alone after that. 

But at the end of the work day, I was in a funk.

- You know what I love about cooking?
- What's that?  
- I love that after a day when nothing is sure,and when I say "nothing" I mean nothing,  you can come home and absolutely know that if you add egg yolks to chocolate and sugar and milk, it will get thick. 
It's such a comfort. (Julie and Julia)


So I tackled the recipe for 7-Up Bread. This probably wasn't the best idea after last night's debacle of cinnamon flop cake. I managed to ruin a cookie sheet and an 8x8 pan with that one. But I was undeterred.

7Up bread requires butter, sour cream, bisquick, and, well, you know...


So I mixed the ingredients and patted it out onto the board and realized my recipe was pretty vague.

It was this picture that got me:



But pat out? How thick? She'd ended up with 9 in a 9x9 pan. So that's what I aimed for. At least, until I realized I didn't have a 9x9 pan. And I'd ruined my 8x8 last night. So surveying the options, I had a round pyrex that had a 9" radius and I had a 13x9. 



So my first inclination was to go with them closer together so I melted the butter and cut the dough into squares. I ended up with more than nine...



And managed to get less than half of them fit in. I never got along very well with geometry.



So then I tranplanted them over into the 13x9. And there still wasn't room. Which is when I began to imagine that the dough shouldn't be this thin. 



So I finally compromised and double layered them into what looks a little like a 9x9 space and hoped for the best.




Wait, check the tape: theirs:


And mine:

However, what they lack in good looks they definitely made up for in flavor. They were perfectly moist and fluffy and, when I cut them into smaller squares, they started to look more like Red Lobster biscuits. 



(The last one left tonight has my name on it this evening with some cinammon and honey.)

While those were cooking, I also made up the copy cat recipe of the Joe's Crab Shack Crab Dip.

What can I say? I was in a funk and I was feeling brave.


Note: the crab has liners at the bottom of the can, which you should probably to try not to beat into the mixture.



But other than that...

not much of that left tonight, either. 





0 comments:

Post a Comment