Monday, September 3, 2012

9-3-12 The Manitou Incline

Meet the Manitou Incline.

It's only 3/4 of a mile. That's nothing, right? 

It's 3/4 of a mile STRAIGHT UP. From the bottom to the top is a 2000 feet elevation difference.

I realize the picture you see above looks like the start.
Nope.

The picture below is taken from the same spot. Don't know if you can spot the parking lot way at the bottom, but we didn't start there, either. We walked up from D's house much further below that. 


And this where we stopped. Or, rather, where I stopped, and Deana was kind enough to suggest a different hike that was more my speed. Part of me was very frustrated at how dizzy I was and how I started gasping so quickly. I haven't been working out, and it's painfully obvious. The other part of me, upon reflection, really would like to conquer this some day, but when I do, it will only be to conquer it, not to enjoy a hike. This isn't a hike. This is stairmaster hell, albeit with a fantastic view. But it's a fantastic view only from the top where you turn around. The two hours it will take you will be spent facing the rock going up or looking down at your feet to hit the stairs so you don't kill yourself getting down. 


This is the incline from our more enjoyable hike around Inteman train, which is still a good climb, but then it flattens out along the top ridge above Manitou Springs.





0 comments:

Post a Comment