Thursday, October 22, 2015

Soup Weather

I've been looking forward to the Fall weather finally arriving for, well, months now.

I'd collected soup recipes in anticipation, since I can make a big pot and live off it for days and days without complaint. (With the kids home? Doesn't happen.) Mom and Dad even bought me an immersion blender so I could tackle a number of soups that would be much messier if I had to pour a bit at a time into the standard blender to get it the right consistency.  I had a grocery list prepared for all the difference ingredients I didn't typically buy so all the recipes would be complete. 

And then? More warmth, week after week. 

One day of cooler temps, followed by ten with increasingly warmer days does not a pot of soup make happy. 

Yesterday, it seems, we may have finally had the push we needed to keep us in the 40°s - 60°s range. The windows are still open here, but that's really not the best indicator. I keep the windows open past most people's comfort level. Today, I noticed not only was Faith, my tiny and always cold cat, insisting on curling up with me round the clock, but Bruiser began to find his way over, despite his misgivings about being that close to Faith. 

I put the heating pad on the back of my chair to keep some therapy on my sore shoulder and Faith promptly decided that was her invitation. She climbed up over my head and out of my lap. 


Bru then decided to try and settle in the vacated lap space. 


Bru doesn't fit quite a neatly in my lap with the laptop as Faith does, but he gives it his best. He kept getting uncomfortable, leaving, and returning from a different angle, always with an eye on the sleeping Faith above him.


 

Getting a photo of all three of us on the chair was a bit of a challenge.








Finally, I pulled out the other heating pad and set it up for him on the back of the couch, more comfortably away from Faith and in the window where he can watch for birds, as is his pastime. 

Then? Faith climbed down and settled into the post-Bru-warmth of my lap again. 

And so it goes. 

When I went down to heat up soup for lunch (which was dinner last night and again tonight...) I glanced at the thermostat, curious as to how chilly it had gotten. Mind you, the windows upstairs are open where I stay, but not on the main floor where the thermostat is located. Those stone floors do get icy.

(I like the "LEAVE" at the bottom... And I am just now realizing my clock is 2 hours off.)


Now to pull out that grocery list and see if I can't whip up a batch of green chili soup next time!

0 comments:

Post a Comment