Sunday, March 17, 2013

3/17/13 Under 300 Calorie Breakfast Pie

I was skeptical, but also pie-craving, which can drive a girl to desperate measures. Luckily, other than the pie shell, it was two ingredients that I knew I liked: Greek yogurt and peanut butter.

When I hit the grocery shelves yesterday, I skipped past the original recipe's call for vanilla and headed right into Chobani Vanilla Chocolate Chunk. Since I'd read comments about Chobani's consistency becoming too watery to set up into a good pie texture, the rest of the 32 ounces that were called for came from my go-to Greek Gods Plain Yogurt, which is really thick and tangy like a good Greek yogurt should be. Mix in a cup of no-stir natural PB, plop into the pie shell, and let set overnight. I sprinkled a tablespoon of powdered sugar on top for flair.






Greek yogurt packs twice the protein, half the carbs, and a ton of valuable cultures and calcium, plus it fills you up for a very long time without crashing. Add even more protein, fiber, Vitamin E, magnesium, potassium, and B6 in that peanut butter (go for the natural option, no added oils or sugar and actually tastes "peanuttier" to me) and this is one powerhouse of a pie slice. 

You should aim for ten slices per pie, although I didn't finish mine this morning with coffee -- I was too full. The rest of the slices will be thinner so we'll end up with 12 servings instead of 10.

It's under 300 calories, and all good ones! I rounded up from the original recipe's calorie count of 270 since I added more peanut butter to my mixture, although once you cut into into 10-12 servings, it's not much more. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment