Wednesday, September 4, 2013

9/4/13 Some say

...the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire,
I hold with those who favor fire.

The world burned brighter for one, fleeting instant this morning. 

How lucky am I that I was there to bear it witness?

(Forgive me my snaphappiness. Sunrise seconds are too much like potato chips.)


As the sunrise edges back a few minutes each morning over the next two months, until it inevitably leaps backward in our manmade time by an hour in one night, I have to juggle exactly when to end my yoga practice and when to leash up Evan and set out. We jumped the gun a bit this morning and were on the trails alone in semi-darkness. It was in this light that we encountered Orpheus, trotting up the trail. He made a wide circle into the brush, stopping downwind just long enough to stare and sniff and be on his way in the other direction. 

And the sun showed up.









 

An older gentleman and his Australian shepherd passed us on the trail as I was snapping a photo. While our dogs sniffed politely, he said, "It's a new day," to which I replied, "A beautiful one." I saw his eyes travel to my Life is Good shirt and then he pointed at the phrase and said, "Depends on the war."

I wasn't sure which war he was referring to, impending or otherwise, but it really didn't matter. I smiled at him and said, "Still beautiful, in this moment, regardless."

That seemed to satisfy him. Or confuse him. But he smiled and nodded and kept on walking. 

Yes. That. 

Regardless beauty. 





0 comments:

Post a Comment