Friday, June 4, 2010

garlic goodness

I love fresh garlic. Mostly I make Italian dishes just so I can play with the garlic cloves.

I've only had the pleasure of this in the past year. Prior to that, I'd always just used powder and not thought about it. It took a very sick little mouse and a visit from Lynne to see the error of my ways.

Here's how a garlic story becomes a mouse story...

In the spring of 7th grade Samantha's science class used mice in mazes for experiments. The teacher told them if they brought a signed permission slip from their parents, when the unit was over, they would hold a lottery and some of the students could take the mice home as pets.

Sammi asked me first and I said "no" immediately. She asked her Dad when he got home and he said, "Sure, why not?" That's how it goes.

So the big day came and come to find out, of the seven mice, exactly seven students' parents were silly enough to give permission. No lottery needed!

Sammi is her mother's daughter. Of the seven, one was blind in one eye and slow and no one wanted him. Except Sammi.

So home she comes with a half blind mouse in a little box. We hold him and love on him and he doesn't move much, just loved to curl up in our hands and sleep. This was a Friday.

On Saturday I have to get Sammi to her Red Cross babysitting class and then I go out and get a mouse house for "Jack." By the time I get it home and set up, Jack is more and more listless. I hold him until he starts seizing, lay him in his house, and watch him die.

Sigh.

Sunday we're at Petco buying mice.

Sam and Dean, a pair to keep one another company, come home to the spacious mouse house and it's the end of April. They are not cuddly like Jack, skittering away from being held.

Sammi slowly gets Dean to warm up to her by June.

And then he gets sick.

He starts scratching incessently, all the time, with deep scabs forming in his skin. When Lynne comes to visit at the beginning of July, I read that fresh garlic juice can alleviate the scratching, so off we go to buy a clove.

It didn't work and I'll spare you the details of Dean's sad, hideous demise. Let's get back to the point of this blog and the garlicky goodness.

What it did teach me, or what Lynne taught me in the process, was how to release the garlic's flavor and, since I had half a clove left after the failed mouse experiment, I decided to put it to better use.

Once you peel off a section, peel the skin (thumbnail usually works, but if its stubborn, cut off the tips and it will slide right off) and quarter.



Then, if you haven't invested in a garlic press, used the flat of a butter knife and push down on each quarter to open up the juices and full flavor.


Then mince and cook!


My favorite use is to fry them up with meatballs in olive oil, basil, and oregano.


Toss butter in with your spaghetti noodles (I like a mix of whole wheat and regular for the contrast) or go for the tomato sauce if you prefer.


And nest your little slices of garlic heaven in with the nest and cover with Parmesan. Guess what was for dinner :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment