Friday, May 11, 2012

5-11-12 things that never die

The last choir concert of the year was heavy with Romantic era pieces

Things That Never Die, arr. Lee Dengler

The pure, the bright, the beautiful that stirred out hearts in youth,
The impulses to wordless prayer, the streams of love and truth,
The longing after something lost, the spirit's yearning cry,
The striving after better hopes, these things can never die.

The timid hand stretched forth to aid a bother in his need,
A kindly word in grief's dark hour that proves a friend indeed,
The plea for mercy softly breathed when justice threatens high,
The sorrow of a contrite heart, these things can never die

Let nothing pass, for every hand must find some work to do
Lose not a change to waken love, be firm and just and true.
So shall a light that cannot fade beam on thee from high
And angel voices say to thee: These things can never die.

per the program and a lot of places on the internet, a poem by Charles Dickens
Per my gut instinct, wrongly attributed. By Sarah Doudney, children's writer and hymn composer of the same era.


And at the close of the concert, as the seniors are sent off into the world (graduation is Monday) the tradition is to have all the women of all the choirs, past and present, join in The Blessing, arr. John Purifoy:



...oh I bless you while a watch I keep
As you lie in slumber deep, my blessing goes with you.
This is my prayer for you, there for you, ever true.
Each and every day for you, in every thing you do.
And when you come to me and hold me close to you,
I bless you and you bless me too.

When your weary heart is tired, if the world should leave you uninspired, 
When nothing more of love's desired, my blessing goes with you.
When the storms of life are strong, when you're wounded, when you don't belong
When you no longer hear my song, my blessing goes with you.

This is my prayer for you, there for you, ever true.
Each and every day for you, in every thing you do
and when you come to me and hold me close to you
I bless you and you bless me too.




0 comments:

Post a Comment