Thursday, July 5, 2012

7-5-12 Super Moist & Mighty Filling Syrupless Oatmeal Pancakes

I was pouring my coffee this morning and considering breakfast options. I've been doing sort of an upside down day since we got back from camping, making a heavier breakfast, decent lunch, one mid-afternoon snack <200 calories, and one very light <200 calorie dinner after 5:00. It seems to be adding more energy to the day and, hopefully, less fat around the midsection.

So, hearty breakfast...

and I'm eyeing the oatmeal cookies Sammi and I whipped up last week in a sweet tooth craving.

So I try my hand at an oatmeal pancake.

I have to say, the ratio was off, but the taste was amazing.

This made enough for 2-3 servings (and the dogs were grateful):

1/3 C oatmeal (I used the regular, not instant)

1/2 C flour

1/4 ts. baking soda

pinch of salt

1/3 C brown sugar (I use dark)

1 egg

2/3 C unflavored Greek yogurt

1/4 C milk (mine was 2%)

dash of vanilla, nutmeg, and several dashes of cinnammon

As usual, combine dry ingredients, then add the moist ones, stir together, and pour onto the griddle @ 350° until the bubbles start to form.

I got 6 4" circles out of this amount of batter.

One note -- because there is more moisture in this ratio and the consistency is so different from a regular pancake batter, be prepared for springiness/softness that makes you think they aren't ready to flip. While they will give more, they will not fall apart once you've hit a good bubble-stage.

I did not need any syrup, thanks to the brown sugar sweetness. I did drizzle 1 T. of melted butter over them, but they were so moist, I could have left that off and never missed it.

One serving with the butter (3 4" cakes) = 400 calories

They are incredibly filling, much moreso than the typical pancake, and next time I'll leave off the butter, and just do 2 4" cakes. And take pictures. ;)






0 comments:

Post a Comment