Monday, July 9, 2012

7-9-12 Baked Jalapeno Poppers, tori-style

Last catch-up post from the weekend: homemade baked Jalapeno Poppers. 

I am the only person in the house who eats these. I also prefer them baked instead of fried not just because they are healthier, but because the jalapeno retains more of its consistency without turning to mush. 

So, I gave these a whirl last weekend with just four jalapenos in the fridge, which I typically just use in guacamole. Last week's was the trial run whereby I ascertained that: 

1) My decision to cut the jalapenos long-wise in half so I could stuff them higher with filling was ill-conceived. The base of the filling is cheese. I had a pan of smothered peppers and a lot of burned filling.

2) The filling needed some additional substance. 

So this week, I left the poppers whole and added sausage to the mix.

Of course, being me, I just sort of dove in and guessed at the amounts. The filling I made was for about twice the number of jalapenos I had on hand this time. 

If you want to use all the filling, get 20 jalapenos. Also, find other people who like them or you will be looking for a replacement colon very soon.



I used:
3 ounces of cream cheese, softened
3 ounces of mozzarella, grated
a handful of cilantro, chopped (which I forgot until I'd snapped the pictures before stuffing)
half a package of MSG-free sausage, browned and drained

Mix up with a fork and core out your jalapenos, USING GLOVES. You will be handling raw jalapeno seeds that will mess you up. I just use a knife, chop off the top, and then core out the center a few times running the knife circularly. I also wash them out. You want flavored heat, not torture.



And, with only 10 jalapenos to stuff, the first of which I overstuffed and split, you are going to have leftover filling. I fill these by hand, er, finger, and remember fondly making mudpies as a child.


Arrange your peppers facing one another on the tray. This will keep their gooey contents from burning quite as much on the pan.


I did say, as much. (These were baked at 425° for 15 minutes.)


If they are in season, I highly recommend a farmer's market tomato, or, if you're blessed enough with your own garden or a friend's, even better. Slice an avocado or make guacamole for a dip. Or, if you're like I was yesterday, just grab those suckers and chow down.


But, from the voice of experience, chow down intelligently and with some restraint. They will reheat easily later and if you try to eat, say, four at a time, you will regret it later.

0 comments:

Post a Comment