Tuesday, January 4, 2011

1-4-11 It's a Thing with Me


"It's just a thing with me" is a saying around our house, when trying to explain why something is important to one of us when the rest of us could care less. Since we practice as much tolerance as four very strong personalities can muster, this is usually the signal to for everyone to back off and just let it be.

Of course, of the four of us, I have the most "things" (no surprise) and one of the biggest is my aversion to fluorescent light. When I worked at the office, I avoided it as much as possible in a large shared space lit exclusively with them. I brought in my own floor lamps, desk lamps, pulled the blinds wide open the second I got to work and was ahead of everyone else by at least an hour during which the lights stayed off. When I move to working from home, I could finally ditch the buzzing, glaring things behind.

Except for the kitchen.

Well, except for the kitchen when Bob is home. This is one of those things we just have to agree to disagree about. But, c'mon, who in their right mind would choose the glaring kitchen on the right?

So in an effort to keep them off as much as possible, here's my scientific argument:

That constant buzzing? Microwave radiation. The glare? Imbalance in the frequencies (as opposed to full spectrum light). Rats exposed to this cold light for one month went blind. All the way back to 1973 they've been proving that these lights have an adverse effect on students. Symptoms associated with prolonged exposure include migraine triggers, anxiety, mood swings, and irritability. Now I ask you, who wants an anxious, irritable, moody mom in the kitchen?






0 comments:

Post a Comment