Thursday, May 19, 2011

5-19-11 Six Weeks

I know. Just tilt your head.

This week has made up for months and months of dry weather. It's even been THUNDERING this week. This is when Sammi texts me, "I LOVE this weather!" and I reply with a ":)".

So the drive to the 6 week follow-up was a cold, gray, wet one, the only drawback being that I can't see the mountains in this weather. Being cooped up in the house these past six weeks has made me really restless for some sunshine and hiking, but I will try to enjoy the pitter-patter sounds of the rain and thunder for the short time that they're here. I'm not up to hiking yet anyway.

The doc's office is next door to the hospital so it felt a lot like a graduation of sorts, to be driving back for the fourth and final time in the past 6 weeks. I drove alone and belted out tunes on the radio and realized I was feeling a lot more like normal than I had in a long time. Maybe it had to do with the fact that I pulled on my jeans for the first time in 6 weeks today, too.

I have come to realization that parking garages kind of skeeve me out now. I'm not sure why. I don't remember feeling this way when I was younger. But now, if there's a way to park on TOP of the garage instead of inside it, I'm much happier. Maybe it's some kind of post 9/11 thing. I passed up plenty of empty, tight, dark spaces and parked up on the top of the garage in the drizzle. (That's what they make umbrellas for. Note to self, you never bought that Van Gogh umbrella you wanted.)

I realized this was where we parked when I walked in for surgery, too. The trees are more in bloom now.



And, for proof, here's my jeans :)


The doc thinks the chronic pain in the left hip is related to the ureter complications, so I have to ask my urologist about that at tomorrow's appt. and hope that I don't have to go around dragging my left leg behind me when I get tired from now on. Otherwise, I'm cleared. I can get back to the gym, but I have to stay away from the ab workouts for another month. I'm mentally reviewing all the machines I typically use and most of them work the core in addition to other muscle groups. Hmm. Will have to go slow and see how I feel the day after.

As soon as I got home, the beloved jeans were dumped in favor of, what else?  my fuzzy pajama pants. Even with jeans, you have to start slow :)


That said, reviewing the past six weeks, I've come a long way. Started out unable to sneeze, or sit up, or lift a leg without being in severe pain. I couldn't walk to the bathroom without feeling exhausted. Today I've been up and down the stairs 5 or 6 times already, wore jeans, drove myself to the hospital and back, worked all day, cleaned up around the house, and other than the aforementioned hip pain, feel fine. But I do feel better in fuzzy pajama pants. I don't think has much to do with the surgery, though. Snoopy pajama pants have always made things better. I highly recommend them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment