Sunday, May 29, 2011

5-29-11 Shopping with Sammi

This afternoon Sammi and I went summer shopping for her, just the two of us.

When did the 60s come back with such a vengeance? I noticed the stuffed owls at the toy store, but those giant-eyed owls are everywhere, on pendants and earrings and shirts. Sammi loves the owls. She also loves the peasant shirts and hippie trappings.

We are a lot alike, she and I. But when it comes to fashion . . . not so much.

Sammi gravitates towards everything I avoid: ruffles, lace, florals, puffy sleeves, girlie accents. We have interesting conversations in the dressing room.

I love that she has her own style and moxie. It just makes it really hard to answer her, "what do you think?" questions when I think it reminds me of all the fashions I avoided my entire life.

But the reality is that she's 4'10 and probably is done growing. She's got the curves and the attitude of a young woman, but it sure does make shopping for pants a pain in the  . . . well, you know.

She wears a size TWO in shoes. Do you know how impossible it is to shop for heels?

The real answer is eventually going to be that she find a fantastic tailor and cobbler and gets everything made from scratch. When she's the next J.K. Rowling this will not be an issue.

For now, it's afternoons of frustration at the mall, trying on 20 things to find one that fits right. And a mom who doesn't wrinkle her nose (too much) when it turns out to be ruffly.

2 comments:

  1. How about you try making some of her clothes? (Did I just write that out loud?)

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahahahaha. I should definitely blog about my one sewing class sometime soon so you can appreciate the depth of my laughter at this idea ;)

    ReplyDelete