Sunday, May 11, 2014

To My Mom, on Mother's Day 2014

Hi Mom,
I looked through the e-cards for awhile and everything was pretty stupid, or sappy, neither of which really gets to the "us" of our mother-daughter relationship. 

So I went back to Dad's slides and started looking through pictures of just you and me as I was growing up. 

It struck me how, in so many of the photos, you, or I, aren't smiling, or paying any attention to the camera. In a few we are clearly posing. But in most, we're just being us, off in thought, or you're too busy doing the mother thing and focused on a task to stop and smile for the camera. 

That kind of gets to the "us" of our mother-daughter relationship, far better than any of those cookie-cutter sentiments, now, doesn't it?

So many of these photos point to all the things that make me who I am today. Note the baby bath photo: I seem to be staring at the box marked PIE! 

From the zoo to the beach, fishing to the mountains, the things I love now are the things you introduced me to at a young age. Thank you for being my mom.

Happy Mother's Day to the most focused, down-to-earth, driven mom in the world. 

I wouldn't have you any other way. 

I love you!




0 comments:

Post a Comment