Thursday, May 13, 2010

innocent disruptions


How do you say no to this face? Every time I go near the leashes, Evan and Katy freeze to see if I'm going to pick them up. If I do, pandemonium breaks loose in the kitchen, made funnier by the fact that they don't have a lot of room to be pandemonious so they pull up short to turn around and slide across the stone floor before righting themselves and beginning again.


If I am slow in latching them up, I get prompted by those big brown eyes -- see? just take it off the chair, pleasepleasepleaseplease.


The New Dog

Into the gravity of my life,
the serious ceremonies
of polish and paper
and pen, has come

this manic animal
whose innocent disruptions
make nonsense
of my old simplicities--

as if I needed him
to prove again that after
all the careful planning,
anything can happen.

~Linda Pastan

0 comments:

Post a Comment