Friday, May 28, 2010

Lucas Tomatoes




I was reading this piece on the genetic research into creating a hybrid tomato that combines the flavor of the home grown with the durability of the market bought.

I can only hope. But even then, unless they are using the genes, the soil, and the weather conditions I refuse to live in, there will never be anything like a Mexia tomato.

The picture from above is the haul from one trip to the Lucas family's house just a few miles outside of Mexia, Texas. (Note the placement of the tomatoes: you should always store them stem side UP, according to the Lucases.)


I have tried the homegrowns here in Colorado and while they are miles ahead of anything you can buy in the store, they just can't compare to the Texas tomatoes.

The picture about was our little cut of the pounds and pounds that Dad filled the back of his van with, some for us, some for him and mom, and some for all the folks at work who marveled at how amazing these tomatoes were.

The crop will have depleted and burned out by July 4, so if you're in the area (and I mean a several hundred mile radius if you're a tomato lover) get over there this coming month and have one for me. I'll be red with envy.


P.S. They also have some of the biggest, juiciest peaches I've ever eaten, although I would have designed the business card to read TOMATOES and Peaches. Be sure and bring a roll of paper towels and wet wipes so you can indulge roadside and not stick to the car afterwards.

0 comments:

Post a Comment