Wednesday, May 19, 2010

kibbawhat?


There was a movie that came out in the early 90s called Soapdish. I love this movie. Even Sammi loves this movie, and that was before she knew who Robert Downey Jr. was.

But there is this moment towards the end, when Kevin Kline's character refuses to wear his glasses and can't read from the teleprompter that kills me. The horribly written soap dialog is pitch perfect. He keeps screwing up the words and Sally Field keeps correcting him until he gets to the line...

Jeffrey Anderson: [as Dr. Randall] And I'm afraid the results are very disturbing. It seems that Angelique has a rare case of brake fluid...
[pause]
Jeffrey Anderson: Bran... fluid. Bran flavor.
Burton White: What the hell?
David Barnes: [offstage] Brain fever!
Edmund Edwards: [offstage, loudly] Say it!
Celeste Talbert: [as Maggie] Brain fever!
Jeffrey Anderson: [as Dr. Randall] Yes. Brain fever. Or what we call in Austria...

[they both goggle at the word]

Jeffrey Anderson: Kopfgeschlagen.

Only that really is the word on the screen. "The both goggle at the word" is very well described.

So, all of this to say, I had my own Kopfgeschlagen goggle today when I went to link the Curvalicious blog entry to my facebook page. I get a giggle out of a lot of the random "captcha" words they throw at you, but I am pretty sure I am never going to top this one.

Blogger won't let me import a photo any larger than above, so if you can't see the screen capture very well, my pair of words were:

"deceived kibbutznik" (with the flowing text folding over right in the midst of the tz).

For the record: a member of a kibbutz is called a kibbutznik (Hebrew: קִבּוּצְנִיק‎)

Kibbutznik. That wins.

Unless, of course, someday I get to type Kopfgeschlagen.

1 comments: