Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Los Dos

The two. That's pretty appropriate for this blog, since it's about me and Vicki's spot, although all are welcome, the more the merrier. Los Dos Potrillos started as out as as good Mexican spots do, as a hole in the wall. They've made more holes as they've expanded though, knocking through adjacent walls, and although the outside is still nothing remarkable, the interior, and especially the kitchen, is very nice indeed.

I've got to go back, though. The first los dos was me and Lynne. We had a standing lunch date once a week, either Tuesday or Wednesday, depending on the semester, at what was once called Gina's, then later Casa Rodriguez, downtown Bryan, just minutes from the Blinn campus. When it was Gina's, we had a standing table, right at the windows in a little alcove where no one else sat. Cynthia was our waitress and as soon as she saw us come in the door, she'd be headed to the table with our drinks and queso. It wasn't long before we never even had to place our order. We read through so many books over lunch. I'm the fast eater, Lynne lingers. So I'd read until the plates arrived and then Lynne would read while I ate. 5 minutes later (ok, maybe 10) I'd be done and take back over while Lynne played with her food. When they changed hands, Cynthia stayed on and so did we. Then I moved. Somewhere around here I have pictures of the three of us, Cynthia, Lynne, and Tori, over the years. But that's a blog for a different day.

Fast forward a couple of years.... When Vicki and I became friends, we discovered a mutual love of Mexican food and tried various places before discovering Los Dos Potrillos. (The Two Colts). It's mostly just known as Los Dos, though.



This menu is insanely large, and we always open it and look at the pretty pictures even though I never order anything different. Their salsa is brimming with cilantro and jalapenos, and I always get my diet in a to-go cup to start. (I had three people offer to fill it up for me today on my way out. Hehe.) My standing order is the house favorite, Chill Relleno Nachos (tomatoes on top only -- their pico is brimming with onion chunks). Nachos is a bit of a misnomer, since there isn't a chip on the plate. But the green chili sauce, the crispy fried rellenos, the tender pork inside, mmmmmm. Half goes in a to-go box for the next day's lunch.


It doesn't look like much on the plate, I'll admit. But baby, this is fantastic Mexican food. And a bucket of diet coke ;)



I recently revisited the city-data.com site on Denver that I frequented when we were preparing for the move, thinking if there were some local questions about my area I could help out with info now. Right at the top of the discussion board was a post asking about, of all things, where someone could find good chili rellenos. I jumped in ready to answer and wouldn't you know it, a couple of people had already responded with the same answer as me! All us Texas transplants have given it two thumbs way up.


And since we're regulars now, we didn't even get a raised eyebrow when we asked our waitress to snap some pictures. Still don't have the same table and same waitress yet, but I'm working on it. Smile, Vic! (and thanks for taking pics with me girlfriend.)


It never hurts to say goodbye and turn toward home (and back to work) with this view, either.

0 comments:

Post a Comment