Friday, October 7, 2011

10-7-11 Six Months

Six months ago today I was waking up out of 7 hour surgery, an organ lighter, and about to embark on a long recovery, in some way still ongoing, but in a lot of ways, far behind me now.

I spent a long time tonight talking to my son. There's been a lot of tension between us over that time that's been unspoken and unresolved. And what it came down to tonight was this: I love him, passionately, but not blindly. I know his faults as well as he knows mine. And neither of us are guaranteed another day. I don't want our differences of opinion to come between our relationship, which is one of the greatest gifts of my life.

So while this blog was supposed to be an introspective look back at all I've learned over the last six months, a more personal conversation took place this evening that helped me realize what all those moments boil down to.

Life is precious. Love, even more so.

0 comments:

Post a Comment