Thursday, March 10, 2011

3-10-11 some additional wandering thoughts

As the day wears on and I have time to let some of this start to sink in, I think my first reaction to hearing I would need major abdominal surgery was "bring it on"

and my second is setting into, "do I have to?"

Bad Squishy. . .

Let's just get over the niceties. This is a hysterectomy. More than one every minute occurs in the U.S. and half of those are done on women 35-49. This is just very, very common.

And yet. . .

It's so very personal.

So I've discovered a really good resource and community with HysterSisters.com and I know it's just something I have to go though. . .  but just reading the post-op guidelines and all the things I cannot do for 6 weeks is absolutely depressing: no sex, no exercising, no driving, no picking up anything heavy, difficulty bending over to reach anything, depending on everyone else. . .

(Among other things) I feel the compulsion to go back to the gym immediately and triple the abdominal weight and reps until surgery.

I need to start planning on freezer friendly food preps so a week after I'm home I'm not sweating over the "what's for dinner" question that everyone is going to be thinking but no one is going to be the first one to say it aloud. (They do have some sense.) I need to get so much of the house stuff done and out of the way. I need to have a garage sale. We're going to Huntsville for Nick's Honors College dinner and SHSU orientation in two weeks. I'm trying not to feel overwhelmed. One day at a time, one step at a time. One foot in front of the other. .  .

The up-side is I don't have to drive to work and as soon as I can get off my major pain meds, I will have a clear enough head to be productive from the bed or couch while I recuperate. Since Squishy is a blood- sucking, it may explain the bouts of fatigue I've been fighting. After six weeks, I should have more energy to redouble the strength training in addition to having this protrusion in my belly gone. It won't be abs of steel right away, but this thing has got to weigh something, right?







0 comments:

Post a Comment