Saturday, April 16, 2011

4-16-11

Today, as expected, I have paid for yesterday's activity and stress. I held out as long as I could before taking one of my new vicodin, which for the record is not nearly as good as the percocet (duh). Feels a little like a baseball bat was taken to my lower back, hips, and belly. I'm sure the stress I added onto myself made it twice as hard for this body to keep on healing.

So today, I've gone back to focusing on my recovery and just letting everything else take care of itself.

This morning, I stayed put while the showing took place. The young couple was very nice.

I've laid in bed all day, getting up only occasionally and for very short periods of time, and used my swelly belly band off and on all day. The swelly belly is the term used by the HysterSisters for the almost inevitable swelling that follows a hysterectomy. The body is sending blood and fluids like crazy to this traumatized area to speed healing. So while it's very discouraging to see my figure right now, I have to remind myself it's my insides' turn to get a workout, to let it do what needs to be done to heal completely, even if that means have a swollen belly. The HysterSisters sell a swelly belly band that is like an abdominal binder, only it has fluid packs sewn inside that, after being submerged in ice water and then kept in the freezer or fridge, feel absolutely heavenly on the big belly and hot burning incision site.

And while I let my insides focus on what they need to do to get healthy and not stress about the outside too much. That will come back in time. It is difficult to see so much of my hard gym work getting soft, but I've done it before and I will do it again when my body is ready. Deep breathing continues to be a fantastic outlet. I'm pretty certain I'm going to take up a yoga class this summer.

Despite the fact that a slug has moved more than I have, I've had very nice company all day.







Sammi has been my constant companion, tirelessly bringing me things and watching movies with me all afternoon. She made us all dinner tonight, too.

Nick has his senior prom tonight, so I took pictures from my bed.






Prom tonight. Next stop . . . graduation one month from tomorrow. Won't be long before he's off to Texas! Not sure how that happened.

Tomorrow I'm focused on doing the same as today: total rest, no stress. I figure if the surgeon says 10 days is optimal to heal, I'm going to make these last days  . . . optimalicious!


0 comments:

Post a Comment