Wednesday, April 20, 2011

περιπλάνηση

περιπλάνηση

Looks scary, don't it?

It's really not. Promise.

I've had people ask me if it was Russian quite a lot, someone else referred to it as Chinese, and several others haven't clicked on the links from my Facebook page for fear of being hijacked, despite the the fact that it has "torimask.blogspot.com" right next to it and usually one of my pictures.

I thought explaining the word in the sidebar might help, but it would seem not everyone notices the sidebar.

Alas, this explanation will probably get pushed down and lost soon, too, in the ennui of daily blogging.

But for the record, the name of my blog is peripláni̱si̱, which is the more modern Greek spelling of the English word "wandering."

I was initially inspired by the piece the Tolkien's Fellowship of the Ring:


Not all who wander are lost,
the old that are strong do not wither,
deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
a light from the shadows shall spring,
renewed shall be blade that is broken,
the crownless again shall be king.


I like the idea of wandering, blogging about whatever was going on, or had gone on, that my little brain was thinking about or remembering. I liked the look of the ancient Greek figures and the way it added a bit of mystery to where I might wander on odd days. I am a wanderer by nature, either in thoughts or on walks, just enjoying where the journey takes me, and becoming nostalgic for where I have already have been and might someday return.

It would seem that is a bit more mystery than people are ready for. But after a couple of years, I still love it. And, to be honest, I think a little mystification now and then isn't such a bad thing.

See?


0 comments:

Post a Comment