Sunday, August 7, 2011

8-7-11 resale finds

Sammi asked to go to Plato's Closet this afternoon. I'm more of a rummage-through-goodwill kind of resale girl, but that does take a lot more patience and, for an almost 16 year old, not usually a lot of name brand scores. It's all well and good that mom finds fantastic cashmere, but her tastes run more to the young, hip stuff. 

Why they named the place Plato's still amuses me -- apparently the original owners chose the name because their teenage son had just done a paper along the lines of "Plato the Recycler" and decided that would be a great name for their newest resale venture aimed at teens.  Teens. Who've never heard of Plato and whom, I guarantee, will sit in class somewhere and say, "Plato? Is that, like, the guy with the resale shop?"

Okay, whatever. Let's go to Plato's. 

I can't say I'm terribly impressed with their selection, but then, I am not their target demographic. If you're over 21, you're too old.

So while Sammi sorts through the racks, I linger around the jewelry, scarves, and hats. It's the only stuff that fits (ok, except the bags and shoes, which I also generally hate here). You cannot possess curves and fit into anything aimed at "juniors" very well. And even when you can, you put something on, take one look in the mirror and burst out laughing.

So, back to jewelry, scarves, and hats. I neglected to get a picture of the great orange scarf I got for Sammi's room decor/table top, but it's two flights down and at the moment I am being very lazy.

But here's my hat:



Brand new, soft-as-silk threads, in my favorites colors, brand new, with tags still attached. See, whenever I find something I love, it's clearly been a gift from someone older,  to a teen who has held on for it long enough to sneak it into their bag to take to the resale shop and get a buck for it. So my $30 hand-knit hat came to me for $6 and now all I need is the first cold front to sweep through (maybe next month? a girl can dream . . . ) and I'll be set.

 ta-da!

My other find was among what seems to be the trend of hellaciously gaudy gigantoid rings, you know, the ones with a rhinestone flower on a stretchy band that are roughly the size of a ping-pong ball? Smothered between the rows of this crap were a set of three sterling silver bands with the words "Dream" "Faith" and "Love" on them.

you'll have to trust me on the words, but Evan will vouch for me.

I'm a sucker for inscribed words. I'm a blogger, for pete's sake. What a shock. Anyway, $3 later and they were mine. My best score at Plato's came a couple of years ago when I found a genuine turquoise necklace, the kind you buy in Santa Fe for $75, and earrings set buried among plastic crap. I imagine the same girl with the hat rolling her eyes at her turquoise gift, so hopelessly un-trendy, and trading them away for a couple of bucks.

"The learning and knowledge that we have, is, at the most, 
but little compared with that of which we are ignorant." 

~Guess who.  ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment